Monday, May 14, 2007

My name is

I recently had some important documents done and I spent more time explaining my middle name and last name to the case officer than anything else.

You see, in the land of thousands of islands, middle names are our mothers maiden last name when we are single ladies. And then our middle names change to our father surnames when we marry and we carry our husbands' last names. In the land of oz, this is unheard of. I was told I cannot change my middle name from my mother's maiden surname to my father's last name. If I want to change my last name due to marriage, then only the last name can change and my middle name stay as is. So now in the land of oz, in all official documents, I carry my mother's maiden last name as my middle name and my husband's last name.

No comments: