20-30 years of age, preferably male; an Accounting graduate from a
reputable school; experience in balancing, reconciliation, maintenance and
updating of the branch transactions and various ledgers an advantage
Interested applicants are requested to personally submit their
credentials (resume’, transcript of records and 2X2 colored picture) to:
XXXXXX
I was SHOCK because it screamed of discrimination to me. I feel so offended by the ad. Then I shock myself with the realisation I have been 'australianised' after being here for two years.
Australia have been agressive in their immigration policies and as a result it have a multi-cultural society. More people are needed by the goverment to work to help the economy so employers are to be fair in hiring people and treatment of employees and embrace diversity in their workplace.
Under NSW laws, I believe, the ad would be guilty of
1. age discrimination. Only 20-30 years old are allowed to apply. anyone below or above are not deemed fit to even work in the position.
2. gender discrimination. Males are preferred. Women are not encouraged to apply. Why?
Under definition of discrimination, "reputable school" and 2X2 picture required for the resume would also fall under discriminating actions.
There is something sad and good in this. I think the discrimination laws in Australia are in place because people has accepted discriminating is not right and it is meant to protect bully victims. Which is good. It also means because people here are more vocal to their opinions they sound off more often and show discrimination more obviously than the culture I grew up in, which is sad (for victims). At the same time, it is sad to see my previous country still a bit backward on this.
No comments:
Post a Comment