Monday, July 30, 2007

Separation Anxiety

I might have written a few sentences here about my daughter's separation anxiety previously. She's very attached to me and I remembered reading up about the subject to understand better. I thought then that it couldn't get worse like when experts believe it would - the peak of it at 18 months - because the way the experts describe separation anxiety behavior was very consistent with what I was experiencing then.

Well Energizerbaby decided to up the ante a little bit now. She'd cling hard to me and cry as if I'm abandoning her when I leave for work. She does the same to hubby when I have left and he's about to go to work. The mornings are the hardest. Close to 7am she'd be in a near awake state and she 'guards' me like a dog. I saw how ber body jumps from relax and asleep mode to a tense, wide awake, ready to go out mode the second she saw me get out of the bed. What is heartbreaking for me is that she has to fuss and cling to me and 'guard' me each morning, afraid that I'll go away, not knowing if today is the day when mommy will be home with her or not. I think if I don't work, she doesn't have to keep watch in the early mornings. I realise as she grow more intelligent, she's also becoming more scared of being left without mommy or daddy. Bittersweet.

No comments: