Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Work-Family Balance

My special work arrangements are about to end. My employer refused to extend my 4-day work week unless I apply for a request to have my position changed from full-time to part-time (which would be a different type of negotiation). After some discussion with my husband, we decided it would be wise to keep my job as secure as possible as the global financial woes are hitting everyone left and right. So many people losing their jobs and everyday has new news of who's downsizing staff. Hence I would be going back full-time middle of next year.

With this impending change I cannot shake off this sad and heavy maternal feeling of being forced to reduce the time I spend with my little girl. I know God has been good to our family and to me as not all mothers are able to get this kind of work arrangement this long. Clarisse would be 3 years and 3 months by the time I return to full time work, mature enough not to need me every moment of the day. I guess it's just me as a mother and homemaker. I want to be with her as much as I can at this young age. And I wanted less stress on managing the home by having 3 days to catch up on the chores and cooking and shopping.

I pray that 7 months from now, our family would be able to adjust beautifully when I go back to full time work.

No comments: