Friday, October 24, 2008

At work

I'm happiest when I've understand the objectives and problems and when I got all the information I needed and am writing up a requirements document. I like sorting through the information I had gathered, analysing them, questioning them, reconfirming them or challenging them, arranging and re-arranging them into a document that is readable to others.

The least activity I like is managing and chairing the first meeting with executives or people high up in the organisation (especially ones I haven't work with previously) regarding their project I'm about to undertake. I'm intimidated by their position, I get conscious of the fact that English is not my first language and that I'm not as articulate as they can be, I'm scared that my questions or my thoughts would run to low level technical stuff and that I would not be able to see through the problem in their eyes.

Sometimes I like the variety of projects I can get into because it meant I get more exposure to the different business areas in my organisation. But sometimes I get weary from the constant need to understand what would be the simplest concept to a person who is an expert in the subject matter.

Sometimes I like the challenge of understanding the complex products of the Australian financial system and their behaviours and business rules but sometimes I feel frustration at the different products, that looks to me, are only good enough for punting.

No comments: