I was on the train to work and my thoughts drifted to going back to manila next year, how things and myself have changed and moved and differ from Manila. I wonder how I'd react to seeing Manila again. Things I'm so used to (and taken for granted) in living here ~
1. the freedom to walk conveniently on the streets and breathe in cleaner air - pedestrian sidewalks are everywhere (even the famous harbour bridge), pedestrian lanes to cross the streets, no black toxic fumes from vehicles traversing alongside me.
2. being less security conscious and not worry every second if my pouch is in the same place where I left it, or if my mobile phone is still existent, and such. The same applies to properties - no need to be overly concern if and when thieves will come in at night and rob us or how many locks do we need to install at the main door/gate.
3. Access to health care (GPs), and early childhood health care too, whenever necessary, without incurring any costs, and conveniently located in our suburb (regional NSW would not have this luxury though).
4. Access to the parks/playgrounds scattered across our suburb for clarisse's outdoor play. easy access to outdoor activities for adults as well - nearby clean beaches, national parks, lakes, ponds, etc.
5. Easier and safer public transport system.
6. Less stress over driving Sydney roads and faster travelling time to get from point A to point B.
7. Peace and orderliness, security, economic and political stability. Policemen/women are here to help. Politicians argue who's plans can better the existing good one.
8. Acceptance if not tolerance of different cultures.
9. Exposure to other cultures - the good and the bad sides; and their food most importantly!
10. Easy access to fresh foods, fairer trading practices.
But there are things that we can't afford to have here or I like to have but don't have here
1. Househelps at your bidding! A good market of them too. 1 to do the kitchen work, 1 to do the general housework and the laundry and the ironing, 1 to look after clarisse, 1 to drive me around town. wow ... yeah keep on wishing ...
2. the numerous public holidays! and sudden public holiday declarations! it would be nice to have a couple of days break every now and then.
3. philippine FOOD. mangoes and bananas =( this is so sad. I doubt Australia will ever import them. they would be a competition to the local producers and this would drive locals out of their livelihood. seafood, they're more tastier.
4. festive philippine weddings. we go all out for show. =)
5. families, relatives, and friends.
6. cheaper clothes and services. well not relatively ... i think people earning a living in philippines would need to spend a bigger part of their income for an article of clothing than me here shopping for the same item. Or for example, if I'm living in the philippines earning P25,000 net a month and I spend P200 for a haircut, I'm spending 0.8% of my income for the haircut; whereas in sydney, if I'm earning $5,500 net, I spend $22 for a similar hair salon service, I'm actually spending 0.4% of my income. So even philippine services are cheaper but locals pay more out of their income than I would normally do here.
Updates on EnergizerBaby
She can now do pretend play! She's also stringing a few words together to form phrases. wow ... my little girl is growing up.
No comments:
Post a Comment