Friday, January 12, 2007

Screening time

"The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than
one to two hours of quality TV and videos a day for older children and no screen time for children under the age of 2."


I knew about this and had sort of blog about it. I feel guilty each time I had to pop her down in front of her video. I had to do it because it's the only way she could be distracted long enough for me to do something else uninterrupted. At Clarisse's current age, she's very clingy to me and would like me to be with her all the time, including her naptimes. I struggle each day to find time to do chores uninterrupted or even look after myself. To have my lunch sometimes I resorted to using her video as "her nanny" so I could eat my meal without standing up every 30 seconds. I used to turn her video on when I need to take a shower as she'd panic and cry out for me when I leave her alone in her play area for 10-20minutes (I now take her to the bathroom with me while i shower). I envy those mothers whose husbands or partners are free on the weekends, as they can at least get some kind of reprieve.

I use her videos as a last resort - when toys or baby music won't keep her occupied long enough.

I wonder about the rest of the world out there, do parents of under 2s let their babies watch TVs or videos at all? Are there mothers who also had to resort to use them to get something done?

No comments: