Labour
By week 39 my blood pressure started to creep up and my obstetrician had all sorts of tests done on me for pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. He didn't use those words outright but I knew from the tests, he'd want to rule out those 2. I'd normally be worried sick until the test results came out
negative, but at that stage of the pregnancy, I was physically, mentally, and emotionally tired.
Two nights before my labour started, I couldn't sleep comfortably anymore. My tummy felt weird and uncomfortable no matter what position I'm sleeping in during my last night. I had an early Thursday morning appointment with my obstetrician and I must have looked terrible because his receptionist
asked me with a concerned look and a hug if I'm in labour. I said, No, I don't think so (hahaha! how wrong I was). Because they say contractions are regular and painful. It was not that painful and I couldn't get a regular timing out of them. I told my obstetrician I might be having false contractions, he hold my tummy when one came. Then he said he'd do an internal examination to see if I'm in labour. He had me get a urine sample first for him because he wanted to check if I have pre-eclampsia. When I went to wee, 'the show' showed up. Then I knew it's near. I didn't feel
excited nor panic nor was I apprehensive. I guess i took it as just something that has to happen one way or another.
The internal examination verified that I'm 2cm dilated. My obstetrician said, "Oh that's good coz I scheduled you for an induction tonight." Well, now we don't really need an induction since I've already started to go into early labour. We decided to go home and come to the hospital when the
contractions are '5 minutes apart.' Besides, the delivery ward was full and I wouldn't be able to get a room this early anyway.
Greg started to 'panic' when we went home. His brain cells must have been running 10000rpm on things he needs to finalise!!! I think I would 'panic' too if I'm in his shoes because he'd be doing all the decision making, the running around, the tasks at my bidding :-)
The contractions were initially bearable. They're like period pain. I waited and waited, had Greg bought light lunch. By 3pm, the contractions became a notch more intense. I wonder if it's time to go. We called the maternity ward and they asked me if I can still manage the pain. I said yes (I can still talk can't I?), so they suggested I stay home and do things to distract myself - walk, busy myself with chores maybe, take a hot bath, etc. I decided to take a hot shower since I knew I won't be having one for sometime.
The contractions became stronger by 4pm and I was already wincing in pain. I called the ward and said I wanted to go in because I need pain relief (I don't want them to turn me down anymore). I told them my contractions were 6 minutes apart though in truth they're more like 8 minutes apart. They finally agreed to let me in.
So off we went. The whole arriving scenario was even funny now I thought about it. Greg dropped me off at the entrance and went to look for parking (They told us we could park at those emergency bays but no spot was available!). When I walked in alone, I was obviously in labour, the
receptionist asked if I'm alright. I said, "No!" Funny that my husband was looking for a parking spot and not with me. I got myself to the delivery ward and the midwife assigned to me started preparing me up. Greg arrived a few minutes after with all our bags and stuff.
I was hooked up to a monitor for half an hour to monitor the baby's heart
and my contractions and patiently waited for the midwife to come back
after the 30 minute monitor and asked for gas for pain. The pain became
more intense and an hour of inhaling gas is not helping me cope. I don't
know how other people could have done it with just gas. It leaves me with
a dizzy feeling after inhaling it, enough time to calm me down for the next
contraction. I thought I'd go mad everytime the contraction starts as I'd
inhale the gas like crazy and when it subsides I'd put it down feeling dizzy
and week and start the same cycle again in a couple of minutes. I was only
4cm dilated by 7pm and I don't think I would like to know what the pain
would be like for the for the next 6 hours(6cm) plus the actual birthing. No
way am I going to find out.
I decided to go EPIDURAL without a second thought! The midwife verified
with me twice or thrice if I'm sure I wanted epidural! Yes, I'm going for the
wonders of modern medicine, thank you.
I've heard of stories of how the procedure is done back home and they left
me a bit worried. But my worries were unfounded - Getting all those
needles into me was painless. I didn't feel anything at all. I just let the
anesthetist know when I'm having my next contraction while he's working
on me. He put a local anesthetic on me before inserting the epidural needle
on my back so I didn't feel anything. Even for the drip needle on my arm
they'd put a local anesthetic before inserting the needle in. I just love pain
killers ;-) My epidural had to be redone though because it was taking full
effect on my right side but not my left side. A top-up of pain killers was
given which made the midwife very unhappy because I had too much (I
wouldn't be able to push when the time comes coz I can't even move my
hips).
Birthing
I slept throughout the labour while Greg watched TV. The midwife waked
me up at 12 midnight, removed my supply of epidural which was empty
already and had me started pushing. Of course I didn't feel a thing which is
a down side having epidural. The more pain felt during the contractions
would entice me to push more effectively. After an hour of pushing and
hearing from the midwife that they can see our baby's hair coming out, my
obstetrician arrived, checked me out and decided to forcep the baby out.
Looking back, it was an effortless birthing on my part. The painkillers and
my doctor did all the work! When my doctor told Greg to get his camera
ready, we were both doubtful that the baby would come out that easy. So
on my next contraction (which I didn't feel), the midwife asked me to push.
I pushed hard and when I opened my eyes - there was a baby lying on top
of my tummy, slimy and a bit bloody, looking intently at me with big eyes. I
was quite surprised to see 'someone' on my tummy and I think she was too.
She was born on 10 March at 1.22am. Daddy Greg happily cut her cord.
Clarisse was weighed and measured, then given to me to start sucking on
the breast. Talk about breastfeeding! We finished up at 4am - I was
wheeled to the recovery room as the maternity suites were fully occupied,
baby was sent to the nursery, and Greg went home to rest.
In retrospect, I'm very happy with my obstetrician and I know I'd miss the
visits and his light-hearted disposition. I suddenly fervently wish that he
would only retire when I'm through having babies!!! I have to admit I'm
blessed with an excellent doctor.
Hospital Stay
I slept until 7am when I heard Clarisse's cries outside my room. The midwife
wheeled her and it marked the start of baby care and parenthood! She had
to be put on the breast again, cried a lot and started doing poo-poo when
Greg arrived. We suddenly realised we have no idea how to change a
nappy and how much poo this baby is producing! Our midwife helped Greg
(as I'm still in 'recovery' mode) with Lesson 101: Changing Nappies. We've
mastered it by now and the current challenge is to do it under 15 seconds!
After breakfast when my catherer and drip were removed, I had a shower to
clean myself up, had to do a wee - taught by my midwife the best position
to avoid any stinging. I think my drugs hasn't completely worn off yet too
so no dramas there. Then we were wheeled to my room for the next 4
days.
Greg and I were taught how to care for the baby throughout - bathing,
feeding, changing, etc. We were also left to do the baby care so we'd
know how to do it when we got home. I left Clarisse in the nursery at night
so I can get some sleep. My recovery was also looked after by the midwives religiously. I'm very much impressed with the things I'm asked to do to help with the healing - especially when I got a 3rd degree tear. The constant shower cleanses the wound (I was even taught how to clean it
because they're not happy with how I'm doing it!), a salt bath after that, drying of the wound, and improvised cold pack on my sanitary pads to reduce swelling worked wonders. But the best of all was the sitz bath. Everytime I had one, I felt so much better and noticed the improvement - I
can walk a faster pace each time I had it. It's a pity the department administering it was closed on weekends so I only had it only twice. I even 'fought' hard to get one before I left the hospital (it's always full and an early booking is preferred).
Life Now
Well, it's all about an endless cycle of changing nappies, feeding, getting the baby to sleep, and bathing. It's a career in itself! And whatever things I need to do for myself I had to fit them into those schedule. I feel less stress if Greg is around in the evenings to help out because I get to do
other things like writing this down :) My mom is currently in charge of the kitchen and other housechores. It's scary to think how would I be able manage once she's gone. I wonder how soon would I be able to go out too .. and enjoy being out ... Hopefully Clarisse won't fuss a lot and
would enjoy places other than home :)
There was one night when I had to feed her. She wouldn't go back to sleep and was very unsettled. I had to hold her tight to my chest for a time to settle her down (as the book says it will remind her of life inside the womb, the tightness and my heartbeat would calm her down) when all I wanted to do was go back to bed and get some sleep. I realised as I looked at her peaceful face - it won't be long when she would not find this act calming and these are the few precious moments when she'd find my hugging her the only comfort she knows.
No comments:
Post a Comment