Thursday, August 24, 2006

unconventional thoughts

I came across an interesting article - "Sorry, but my kids bore me to death" with a paragraph that says:


All those glossy magazine spreads showing celebrity mothers looking serene at home with their children serve only to make women feel inadequate. What the pictures don't
show is the monotony, loneliness and relentless domesticity that goes with child-rearing.


They don't show the tantrums, the food spills and the ten aborted attempts at putting on shoes. They don't show the husband legging it to the pub so he doesn't have to change a nappy, either.

In a way it's true ... the monotony and loneliness and relentless domesticity ...

The monotony. Feeding, rocking, nappy changing. Repeat 5x in day. That's why I'm so keen in baking cookies I guess - something different to do. Ooooo, am looking forward to doing it again!

Loneliness. This is a killer. Doing those above alone. No one to talk to. Ok, lurkers out there, drop me an email or leave me a tag message to brighten my day or something to converse about. I have to admit God didn't leave me without friends whom I can visit, one is also staying at home with her children, so I can have female adult company.

Relentless domesticity. Well, domestic chores become more serious once there are children in the house. What more can I say.

Mothers of young children have higher chances of experiencing depression. It's true. I do feel it from time to time. More often than life before becoming a mother. So let's all remember the happy memories with our children and make it a point to look after ourselves as well as how we look after our own family. A happy mother makes a happy family.




No comments: