Friday, January 13, 2006

Asian/Fil-Chinese Culture and Beliefs on Pregnancy

Living far away from my parents and in a different culture, I still get occasional reminders from mom about observing some beliefs about pregnancy from home. They're those beliefs that are not YET scientifically proven and they just makes you feel guilty if you don't observe them at all because you'd be a bad mother or i feel anger on restrictions i don't understand at all.

Mangoes, shellfishes. A pregnant lady can't have them at all because they'd cause allergies to the baby. That is just sad. I love mangoes and prawns and crabs and lobsters. But I occasionally go for them :) Rarely now with shellfishes.

Yesterday when I got home, I know I didn't have a lot of nutritious food during the day and the only fruit left at home was a mango (we ran out of veggies too). Since Greg will be home late with more fruits and my tummy was growling, I ended up consuming the whole mango. Yum!
Fruits and veggies are the best for mothers to be, isn't it? Aside from the vitamins and minerals, it helps CONSTIPATION. Those are exactly the words doctors would say when you say constipation - have more fruits and vegetables and water (yes, i try hard to increase my intake, doctor).

No photos to be taken of the pregnant lady. This is not making sense to me. Well, I don't take a lot of photos of myself anyway, and I'm not exactly fond of taking pictures.

I wonder what other unexplainable things my fellow preggy friends back home are asked to refrain from. Well, I don't exactly want to know now.

Oh, my mom bought me some prenatal chinese medicine. They're these tiny black balls which I have to take 15+ at a time, daily supposedly. Sometimes Greg and I laugh and wonder what exactly are in those balls. We don't know what they are and what they are supposed to do. I mean, at least with my prenatal vitamins, I know it's got folic acid, iron, calcium, etc., what they are supposed to do and I know the iron in there causes constipation so I skip it once it a while. But with these chinese medicine, I'm absolutely clueless. Since my mom went through all the trouble of getting them and sending them over, might as well dutifully take them.

Beliefs I found funny
~ "a big baby is a healthy baby" ~ ha! maybe the mother should work on getting her pelvic bone bigger along with it?

~ "consume anything to your heart's content (except of course the prohibited foods)" ~ not really a good idea, especially if there's no nutritional value in those food.

No comments: